No spoilers for The One, but may contain spoilers if you haven’t read the first two books. Read my spoiler-free reviews of The Selection (book 1) and The Elite (book 2) if you want to know what I thought!
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.
When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon’s heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she’ll have to fight for the future she wants.
25 Thoughts While Reading The One…
- I swear to God if Ames (aka America) doesn’t come clean in this book I’m just gonna write her down as the worst female lead of ever. Yes, I’m very emotional about this
- Not cool Maxon, she tried! It’s hard to be seductive all of a sudden. When a girl puts in the effort to seduce you, you should at least acknowledge it.
- And now commences the plan to make Ames popular among the people. Though all the lower castes seem to like her already
- Maxon can dish it but he can’t take it. Don’t ask for honesty if you don’t want to hear it
- Sometimes I realize just how much I’m talking about the characters like real people and think “man, I’m too involved” but then I don’t even care
- My opinion has completely shifted. Now I’m fully Team Ames and Maxon can go put his head in a bucket and die. She’s trying so hard and he’s just being an ungrateful brat. Woe is you, she didn’t like you right off the bat. Because that’s how love works…
- I just keep waiting for the Aspen bomb to drop. And I wish it would just happen so we could move on
- Glad to see a different more human side of Celeste instead of the calculating biatch role
- I’m starting to feel badly for Aspen. But he also shouldn’t wait around like a loyal puppy dog. Like, respect yo self
- I bet anything the guy they make Ames send to jail is someone she knows. It can’t not be.
- Oh man. I kind of love America now. You can tell because I said her full name. Like she’s clearly breaking all the rules but it’s fantastic to see her be so badass
- Awww for female bonding and support. I know I have a consistent 3-star on this series but just on the basis of creating realistic female relationships, I would rate it a 5. It’s not a perfect ultra feminist love circle, which in this type of situation, wouldn’t exist. But it’s also not a bitchy and catty fight every minute.
- I can’t decide if I find Elise to be an asian stereotype or not. She’s the only character that seems to be a person of colour, but she’s constantly talking about honor… And she’s quiet and demure… But they never seem to talk about her being beautiful or kind, just that her family has connections and she’s graceful
- I keep waiting for the Aspen secret to blow up in Ames’s face. I just want it to happen so it’s over and I don’t have to keep stressing about it
- NOOOOOOOOOO Urg I hate character death. I really, really hate it
- Awww Aspen, you just gained some brownie points. Mostly because you don’t seem to be much of a romantic threat these days. Though that might be me projecting my desires
- FINALLY. The truth is upon us. And it’s about time
- Yesssss. Your sister is fully calling you out Ames. Own up to your terribleness
- So… Did we forget about telling the truth or what?
- This is your own fault Ames. I can’t even feel sorry for you
- Okay Maxon, you’re a bit over the top now. Though I suppose I understand that he’s upset. And it is good to see him stand up for himself instead of rolling over to Ames’s every whim
- OH NO OMG NO NO NO
- God damn. Who didn’t die just now? Like, is this book trying to break a record for most characters killed in the least amount of pages? Cause I think J.K. still has you beat.
- So I guess you can get over a breakup in like the period of what seemed like an hour?
- Is it just me, or have all the inconvenient characters just disappeared or died? It’s kind of annoying actually. Like eliminating conflict by just killing off the characters that made it
*Note: I tried to read The Heir and ending up DNFing it. So here ends my marathon reading of The Selection series. It was entertaining, but I think I mostly spent this reading experience being pissed off with America. But once I started reading about the new MC in The Heir I missed her. She’s the lesser of two evils.
What are your thoughts on character death? Love? Hate?