No spoilers for The Elite, but may contain spoilers if you haven’t read The Selection. Read my spoiler-free 53 Thoughts While Reading The Selection if you want to know what I thought!
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon’s heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?
America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America’s chance to choose is about to slip away.
30 Thoughts While Reading The Elite…
I didn’t have nearly as many thoughts while reading this one, partially because I was into the story more and partially because I spent like 99% of my time being annoyed by everyone and figured I couldn’t have like 50 thoughts of me complaining… But don’t worried, I’ve filled the space with more gifs. And for those of you who don’t like gifs… well, I’m sorry. Also, can we talk about the cover? I love that red dress but I’m less fond of the slicked back hair.
- Straight up Ames, I don’t think you can complain about Maxon dating multiple women. At least you know about them. He’s in the dark your own activities. And he doesn’t even like them! *collapses from frustration*
- Oh, for those that didn’t read the first time I did this. I need to call America by her nickname Ames, because her name upsets me
- Ames needs a sassy friend to just slap her and tell her to stop being greedy and make up her damn mind. Or otherwise tell Maxon to get his head out of the sand and demand some decisiveness
- Omg Aspen go away. It’s official. I despise love triangles. I would rather Maxon be a jerk that Ames learns to love than all this “which handsome boy shall I choose?” BS. I wish Maxon was in love with another one of the girls so they could at least be even
- Omg Ames seriously? You’re gonna cry over him dating other girls and it took you a hot second to roll around on your bed with Aspen? Own your sexuality if you want to, but don’t pretend like you’re on the moral high ground
- I’ll forgive Ames right now as long as she doesn’t cuddle up with Aspen anymore
- “In truth, I hadn’t thought about Aspen in the last week or so.” *face-palm* Ames I don’t know how anyone can like you if that’s how you’re going to treat people. I don’t even like Aspen and I feel bad for him. And I couldn’t even feel bad for Gale in the Hunger Games. That’s how pathetic Aspen is right now.
- Sometimes Maxon feels too perfect. Like I just want him to get mad or impatient. Which he did once, but it doesn’t quite feel enough
- So… Is she gonna tell Maxon about the whole kind-of-cheating thing or what?
- Why do I get the feeling Marlee got caught doing something she shouldn’t have been?
- Andddd nearly crying reading Ames’s dad’s letter. So super sweet. Though I admit that I’m annoyed by how often she flip flops between Maxon and Aspen. I know I’m talking about it a lot but infidelity and emotional cheating is annoying. And I know that’s kind of what The Selection is but at least that’s transparent. What Ames is doing is secretive and therefore worse somehow.
- “Remember that thing that got those people so brutally punished? Why don’t we do that?”– America aka ‘why do you even have a brain if you’re not going to use it?’
- Finally! Some serious competition for Maxon’s affection.
- Urg Ames, you’re so annoying. You spend all this time being like “I could never be with Maxon after that” and get all romancy with Aspen, but then you spend the whole day being jealous of the other girls. Like at this point, I’m tired of your indecision
- Glad we got to see some action going on. I’m very interested in the Rebels and their characters. MORE REBELS!
- Now that Maxon is more clearly playing the field I’m not as upset with Ames about the Aspen thing. Tho I’m annoyed that both won’t be a bit more decisive
- Yesss Ames. Pick yourself up and do better. I can’t wait for her to start going to try and win for real and wholeheartedly
- I’m so happy that the relationships between the girls aren’t constant cattiness. Clearly, it’s still a competition and the girls know that, but they still manage to be friendly with each other. That’s the sort of realistic friendships I would like to see more in YA. None of that black and white either completely catty or painfully over devoted
- Kriss is so much better than Ames for Maxon honestly. Like I know I’m not meant to root for her, but she’s put all her eggs in the Maxon basket and that sort of bravery is admirable. Not like Ames who has one foot in the Maxon basket and dips into the Aspen basket whenever she feels insecure. And Maxon is the exact same way! Except he’s got one foot in the Ames basket and dips into the Kriss one when he’s insecure. They both piss me off
- “Maybe she was making a welcome home card” dang Ames. That’s the most catty you’ve been. Not cool
- I don’t even know why Maxon is still bothering with Ames. It’s a chore to interact with her. There are no more cute romancy moments. He barely even makes jokes or gets embarrassed. They just sit and have these weird obligatory interactions where he assures her she’ll stay.
- Maxon finally stood up for himself. Though in a pretty hurtful way, but he still did it. I do feel bad for Ames though, it was a low blow
- Who the hell is Nicoletta? Oh! That Italian lady. Way to not mention a character for ages and then expect me to remember them at the drop of a hat
- I’m so stressed out for everyone’s presentations right now. Like my body immediately broke into a cold sweat. Public speaking is a very real fear
- I know Ames is all ashamed and sorry now, but this is the proudest I’ve been of her the entire series. Stand up for what you believe in, girl. And sure it started as a way to make Maxon mad, but I think this is something she’s always wanted to say. I just wish she would stick to her guns instead of apologizing
- Oh, Lucy! You’re my favourite maid. You’re all sorts of strong and adorable
- I don’t know how I feel about the King. On one hand, I love the Queen and so I want to love him too, but he makes me feel icky.
- FINALLY Ames realizes she’s been acting exactly like Maxon. But I bet she doesn’t tell him about sneaking around with Aspen after he pours his heart out. I BET YOU SHE’S STILL TERRIBLE.
- “I couldn’t let Maxon think of me that way” Jesus Ames. I try to like you, I really do, but sometimes I wish the MC was literally anyone else. I would love to read this from Lucy’s POV. It could be called “THE TIME I PUT UP WITH THAT ANNOYING GIRL WHO IS A NICE PERSON BUT A TERRIBLE ROMANTIC PARTNER” except I think that title is too long.
- I can’t believe Maxon did an entire speech about being honest with each other and Ames just fucked it up again. This is so stupid. I can honestly say that I’m right back to how I was at the end of the first book. Except Ames did win some future ruler brownie points. She would be a great queen, but a horrible wife. Just sayin’
Has a character ever done something in a book that made you crazy/annoyed? What was it?