So some of you may know that I’m marathon reading The Selection series right now and it will all be stream of thought reviews because soooo many people have read it. And these are fun.
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn’t want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she’s made for herself—and realizes that the life she’s always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
53 Thoughts While Reading The Selection by Kiera Cass
- Okay, I know enough about this to realize that the numbers are a hierarchy of people. This and its comparison to the bachelor is the extent of my knowledge of this series.
- I love filling out forms! Especially personality type ones. I’m clearly a better candidate for this selection business already
- This is another one of those strange stories set in the future that’s like the past ala Red Queen and The Shannara Chronicles
- Who would get rid of Halloween??? I mean Valentines Day I could see. But Halloween? Insane.
- Every time I read a past tense first person I’m like “why is this being told from the past? What is she doing? Well now I know for sure she doesn’t die”
- Oh… Is her name America? Sigh. I might call her Amy in my head.
- I’m immediately worried that May is going to die because she’s a younger sister and is lovable
- Booooo to the childhood friend love. Like, I’m sure he’s a nice guy but it’s too easy
- Golden rule of YA: if there’s a boy you love at the beginning of the book, I will root for you to be with literally anyone else
- Fine Aspen, you’re kind of cute. I’ll give you that, but I’m still not going to like you! *mentally combining him with Gale from The Hunger Games*
- OH this ban on birth control for lower castes is interesting
- WOW so you won’t enter the selection to help your family but you’ll do it because your boyfriend wants you to. Daughter of the year here *slow clap*
- Urggg her last name is Singer and she’s a singer? For real? I’m gonna call her Amy Adams because I think she has red hair and this name appeals to me, and Amy Adams is a boss
- Damn. She’s kind of really selfish. Which I guess makes for a better character if she’s flawed. But damn girl
- Okay, I’m officially tired of her talking about how she isn’t pretty all the time. Just STFU and take your compliment. Why is the most difficult thing for a girl in YA to believe that she’s physically attractive when she so clearly is?
- Sigh. Fine, Aspen, you’re winning some serious brownie points with me. Saving up for marriage is kind of cute
- I like Ames, maybe I’ll call her that instead of Amy Adams which is sure to confuse everyone reading
- Omg this is like reading the Hunger Games all over again, I just want the main events to start already. Nine days until they pick?! I can’t read nine days of background set up!
- Jesus her full name altogether is terrible. America Singer. I wish Aspen would stop saying it
- I suspect I’m supposed to feel upset here but I’m just like “yay! Now she’s free to love the prince!”
- OMG ITS THE SELECTION IM SO EXCITED
- There is some rampant sexism in this society! I’m disgusted too, Ames. The prince can do whatever he wants with you? No effing way
- Now we’re talking Ames. Let’s pull up our big girl panties and move on. There’s a prince waiting! Who I assume will be wonderfully standoffish and go from hate to love
- I love May so much. Little sisters are adorable. And she’s got her priorities straight
- Good for you Ames. You don’t need to bother with Aspen, he’s hot and cold and you got shit to do
- ADORABLE. The little girl with the “redheads rule” sign just melted my heart
- Maxon is definitely not what I thought he would be. He’s like an awkward badger
- I think I expected Maxon to be annoyed with the whole wife thing but he’s eager. I put a character stereotype on him that is not fitting, it’s very intriguing
- I like that Ames is making friends with some of the other girls. It feels more realistic that way. But I also kind of hope one of the girls says “I’m not here to make friends”
- Elimination time! Part of me expected a long drawn out rose ceremony haha I’m glad it wasn’t there though
- I’m loving this breakfast convo between Maxon and Ames though probably all the girls are going to gut her after this #howtolosefriendsandalienatepeople
- I love May to death. I swear if she dies I will go ape shit
- Oh Jesus Ames, go ahead and almost knee his majesty in the balls
- Awwwwwwww Maxon is adorableeeee
- Celeste is all bark and no bite. She just keeps glaring but she’s yet to actually do something. I guess the girls are forbidden from sabotage. But when has forbidden stopped any character? Ask Harry Potter and his “please enter me constantly” forest
- Maxon is the best. He’s like the male bestie every girl has always wanted
- Whaaaaaaaaaaattttttt someone just got slapped. Shit is getting real right now
- Celeste is finally on the move. I was starting to doubt her villainy
- Guuuuuuurl, you can deny your feelings but we know what’s up
- I expected Celeste to be a little more devious and less overtly aggressive
- I guess it’s possible to feel sympathy nervousness. It’s Ames’s turn to speak on the show and I suddenly got overheated. I’m too emotional of a reader for this
- Cuuuttee. Soooo cute. Maxon is adorable. He’s the most adorable male lead of ever
- I feel like if I was in this situation and Maxon kissed me I wouldn’t tell anyone. Like why put a target on your back? Have none of these girls seen Big Brother? This is reality TV show 101.
- Oh yeah, I almost forgot that she’s a musician. She literally never sings or plays music. Or really even talks about music.
- Why would Maxon not immediately be like “is that the guy you dated in your hometown?” Like wouldn’t any other guy in that situation want to know if this random dude you say you know is your old boyfriend?
- Ames better not cheat. I will be so annoyed.
- I just guessed at something!!! I’m not sure if I’ll be right but we’ll see…
- I’m all about this revenge Ames is planning. It’s about time
- Not cool Ames. Not cool. And that’s all I’m going to say about that
- OMG Aspen, please go away. He’s ruining so many things for me right now. It’s like Tariq all over again…
- Okay Ames, I forgive you cause I realized that Maxon is technically dating six women at once and I never got mad at him. I’m sorry for being a bad feminist. And yes, I am apologizing to a fictional character
- NOPE, I tried. I’m still mad at you Ames. Feminism be damned. #sorrynotsorry
- You’re winning me back Ames. I will always appreciate putting self-love first
Would you want to be in a The Selection type scenario? Why or why not?
Let’s do lunch again next week!